Hydrocortisone (hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone), Lidocaine (LYE-doe-kane)
Treats inflammation of the rectum and anus. This medicine contains a corticosteroid.
PharmaPure RX Lidocaine HCl-Hydrocortisone Acetate
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Ointment, Gel/Jelly
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- This medicine is for rectal use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, mouth, or ears. If it does get in these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- This medicine comes in a single-use tube with an applicator. Throw away each tube and applicator after use.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and food can affect how hydrocortisone and lidocaine work. Tell your doctor if you are also taking medicine that treats heart rhythm problems.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or an infection of any kind.
- This medicine may cause adrenal gland problems. It may also cause you to get infections more easily.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark freckles, skin color changes, coldness, weakness, tiredness, nausea, vomiting, weight loss
- Weight gain around your neck, upper back, face, or waist
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Rectal irritation, burning, or itching
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.