Hyaluronic acid (Injection)
Hyaluronic Acid (hye-al-ure-ON-ate AS-id)
Treats severe pain in your knee due to osteoarthritis.
Euflexxa, Gel-One, Hyalgan, Monovisc, Orthovisc, Supartz
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how many injections you will need. This medicine is injected into your knee joint.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any allergies, including to birds, feathers, or eggs.
- Rest your knee for 48 hours after you receive an injection. Do not do strenuous, weightbearing activities, such as jogging or tennis. Avoid activities that keep you standing for longer than 1 hour.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild increase in pain or swelling in your knee
- Pain, redness, or swelling where the medicine is injected
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 11/18/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.