Gemfibrozil (By mouth)
Lowers high triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to gemfibrozil, or if you have gallbladder disease or severe liver disease or kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Take gemfibrozil 30 minutes before the morning and evening meals unless your doctor tells you differently.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using Coumadin® or lovastatin (Mevacor®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or kidney disease.
- Before you stop using this medicine, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine is used with diet, exercise, and weight loss in overweight patients to control high triglyceride and cholesterol levels. To lower and keep your triglyceride and cholesterol levels normal, all of these are important.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Muscle pain or weakness
- Severe stomach pain, unexplained fever
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stomach discomfort
- Nausea or diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
This page was last updated: June 18, 2013