Gastrointestinal adsorbent (By mouth)
Treats diarrhea, stomach upset, and other problems.
EZ-Char, Kaopectate Advanced Formula, Kao-Tin, Donnagel, Kaopek, Kerr Insta-Char, Actidose-Aqua
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients listed on the package label. Do not give this medicine to children under the age of 3 years old unless a doctor tells you to. Do not use if you have diarrhea that has blood or mucus in it, or if you also have a fever with your diarrhea.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- When using the liquid form of this product, you may need to shake the product container before using. Measure the medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine is usually used after a loose bowel movement, or when you have occasional stomach upset. It is not used on a regular schedule unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many other drugs that can interact with this type of medicine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have any digestive problems such as a bowel obstruction or constipation. Tell your doctor if you have had an allergic reaction to an antidiarrheal medicine in the past, such as attapulgite or bismuth (Kaopectate®, Pepto-Bismol®). Make sure your doctor knows about any medical conditions you have.
- Do not use for more than two days unless your doctor tells you to.
- Some types of this medicine may cause dark or black stools.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- New or worsening abdominal pain, or severe constipation.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Swelling of your lower abdomen (belly).
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.