Treats drowsiness caused by sedative medicines called benzodiazepines, following surgery or drug overdose.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicine for depression such as amitriptyline, nortriptyline, imipramine, Norpramin®, or Vivactil®.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any benzodiazepine medicine to treat seizures, epilepsy, or any other medical condition.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have had a head injury, panic disorder, or liver disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, fast or uneven heartbeat.
- Problems with speech, hearing or vision.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety, nervousness, tremors, dry mouth, or sweating.
- Red skin rash, pain, itching, burning, swelling or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
- Nausea, vomiting, or hiccups.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.