Floxuridine (By injection)
Treats different kinds of cancers, such as cancer that spreads from one part of the body to the liver.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine, like all medicines used to treat cancer, is very strong. Make sure you understand why you are getting it and what the risks and benefits of treatment are. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it will be given.
- Your medicine may be given through a tube put into one of your veins. This is called intravenous (in-tra-VEEN-us), or IV.
- The medicine can also be given in a large blood vessel or artery near the part of your body where the cancer is. This is called intraarterial (in-tra-are-TEER-ee-ull), or IA.
- A nurse or other caregiver trained to give cancer drugs will give your treatment.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a regular schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or the clinic where you get your treatments for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- If you get your treatments at a clinic, the staff at the clinic will keep your medicine there.
- If you get your treatments at home, you may need to store your medicine. Keep the liquid in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
- If you get your treatments at home, you should be given a special container for the used needles, medicine bag or bottles, and tubes. Put it where children or pets cannot reach it.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use aspirin or any product that has aspirin in it (such as some cold medicines) unless you have talked to your doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Talk to your doctor before getting any vaccines (such as flu shots).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Do not breastfeed while you are being given this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver or kidney disease.
- You may get infections more easily while getting this medicine. Stay away from crowds or people with colds, flu, or other infections.
- This medicine may make your mouth sore or irritated. Keep your mouth clean to prevent infections. Brush your teeth with a soft-bristle toothbrush or mouth swab.
- Avoid being out in the sun for long periods.
- Floxuridine can cause nausea and vomiting. Your doctor may prescribe medicine to keep you from feeling sick and throwing up. If the medicine does not help (you can't keep liquids down), call your doctor.
- Do not get pregnant while you or your sexual partner are receiving floxuridine. Use an effective form of birth control while you are getting this medicine.
- If you are pregnant, talk to your doctor before you start your treatments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fever, chills, or sore throat
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Stomach pain or cramps
- Bloody vomit or bowel movements
- Uncontrollable nausea or vomiting
- Painful mouth sores that keep you from drinking liquids
- Chest pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite
- Hair loss
- Mild rash
- Tender gums or mouth
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.