Florbetapir F-18 (Injection)
Florbetapir F-18 (flor-BAY-ta-pir F-18)
Used with a procedure called a PET scan to help examine the brain in patients with mental impairment.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A doctor or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. It is given through a needle placed in one of your veins just before you have a PET scan.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you are breastfeeding, you must give your child stored breast milk or baby formula for 24 hours after you receive this medicine.
- You will be exposed to radiation while you receive this medicine. If you have any questions about this, talk to your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, bleeding, or irritation of your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.