Helps your body make white blood cells after you receive cancer medicines.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin or through a needle placed in a vein.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Start using the medicine 24 hours or more after you finish your chemotherapy. However, do not use it within 24 hours before you begin another chemotherapy treatment.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- If the medicine has been in the refrigerator, let it warm to room temperature for 30 minutes before you use it.
- Do not shake the medicine. Use the syringe or vial only once. Do not save leftover medicine.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. If the medicine is accidently frozen, let it thaw out in the refrigerator before you use it. If the medicine freezes a second time, do not use it.
- Keep the medicine in the carton and away from heat or direct light. The medicine can stay out of the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Throw away any medicine that has been out of the refrigerator for more than 24 hours.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have lung disease, breathing problems, or sickle cell disease. Tell your doctor if you have an allergy to latex.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Spleen problems
- Serious lung problems
- Capillary leak syndrome
- Cutaneous vasculitis
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Coughing up blood
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate, swelling, unusual tiredness
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Pain in your left side or shoulder, or feeling unusually full
- Skin redness, blisters, or sores, red or purple spots on your skin
- Trouble breathing or fast breathing
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bone, joint, or muscle pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.