Estradiol/norgestimate (By mouth)
Estradiol (es-tra-DYE-ol), Norgestimate (nor-JES-ti-mate)
Treats symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes and vaginal changes. Also prevents osteoporosis.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine comes in blister packs of two different colored tablets, pink and white. The tablets are arranged in rows of 3 pink tablets followed by 3 white tablets.
- Take only one tablet each day, starting with the first pink tablet in the top row, and then moving from left to right as you take each daily tablet. You will take a pink tablet each day for 3 days, then a white tablet every day for 3 days, and so on.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. Then wait until the next day to take your medicine again. You should take only one tablet each day.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store this medicine in the blister pack. Do not empty the tablets into another container. Keep the blister packs at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- After taking this medicine, if you discover that you are pregnant talk with your doctor right away.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have gallbladder disease.
- Estrogen has been shown to increase the risk of cancer. Talk with your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Breast lumps
- Fever, chills, sore throat, or runny nose
- Pain in the calves or chest
- Shortness of breath or coughing up blood
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Menstrual cramps
- Nausea or gas
- Pain in the breasts, back, stomach, joints, or muscles
- Runny nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.