Esterified estrogens (By mouth)
Esterified Estrogens (es-TER-i-fide ES-troe-jenz)
Treats symptoms of menopause or removal of the ovaries, and may also be used to relieve some symptoms of breast and prostate cancer.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature; protect from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are currently taking blood thinners (such as Coumadin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, epilepsy, migraine headaches, heart, liver, or kidney disease, or depression.
- Regular visits to your doctor (usually every 6 months to 1 year) are needed while taking this medicine.
- Large doses of this medicine taken over long periods of time may increase the risk of some kinds of cancer. Talk to your doctor about this risk.
- Unless you have had a hysterectomy (uterus removed) check with your doctor about whether you should also take progesterone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe stomach pain or swelling
- Heavy or prolonged vaginal bleeding
- Chest or leg (calf) pain
- Shortness of breath
- Severe headache or vomiting
- Breast lumps
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea or vomiting
- Bloated feeling
- Mild dizziness
- Changes in sexual desire
- Swollen or tender breasts
- Fluid retention and weight gain
- Contact lens discomfort
- Depressed mood
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.