Ergotamine tartrate (By mouth)
Ergotamine Tartrate (er-GOT-a-meen TAR-trate)
Treats migraine or cluster headaches. Belongs to a class of drugs called ergot alkaloids.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Take this medicine at the first sign of a migraine attack.
- Place the tablet under your tongue and let it dissolve; do not chew or swallow the tablet.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke when the tablet is under your tongue.
- You should not use more than 3 tablets in one day or more than 5 tablets in one week.
If a dose is missed:
- Follow your doctor's orders.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep this medicine in the original tightly closed, light-resistant container and store it away from moisture and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you become pregnant while taking this medicine.
- Before you take this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you are sick or have an infection.
- While taking this medicine, you might become very sensitive to cold temperature. Dress warmly in cold weather and don't stay outside too long.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Muscle pain in the arms or legs
- Numbness and tingling of the fingers and toes
- Severe itching and rash or hives
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea and vomiting
- Mild itching
- Red or purple blisters on hands or feet
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.