Eletriptan (By mouth)
Eletriptan Hydrobromide (el-e-TRIP-tan hye-droe-BROE-mide)
Treats migraine headaches.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Use eletriptan only when you have a migraine.
- If your headache comes back or you do not get complete relief, wait at least 2 hours before you take another dose. If you feel you need to take the medicine more than 2 times in one day, call your doctor.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you have taken another migraine headache medicine in the past 24 hours, such as another triptan or an ergot medicine. These medicines include almotriptan, dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, frovatriptan, methysergide, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, or zolmitriptan. Do not take eletriptan if you have taken clarithromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, ritonavir, or troleandomycin in the past 72 hours.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how eletriptan works. Tell your doctor if you are using medicine for depression or an MAO inhibitor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or if you smoke. Tell your doctor if you have ischemic bowel disease, or a personal or family history of heart disease, heart attack, heart rhythm problems, blood circulation problems, or stroke.
- This medicine should be used only for migraine headaches. It will not work for any other kind of headache or pain.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Higher risk for abnormal heart rhythm, heart attack, angina, or stroke
- Spasms in the blood vessels, including Raynaud syndrome
- Serotonin syndrome (more likely if used with medicine to treat depression)
- High blood pressure
- Your headaches may become worse if you use headache medicine for 10 or more days per month.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, restlessness, fever, sweating, muscle spasms, twitching, diarrhea, seeing or hearing things that are not there
- Chest pain (especially if it spreads to your arms, jaw, back, or neck), trouble breathing, unusual sweating, fainting
- Fast or uneven heartbeat
- Numbness or tingling in your hands, arms, legs, or feet, color changes in your fingers or toes
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body, problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Severe stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Tightness or discomfort in your chest, neck, or jaw
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.