Doxylamine (By mouth)
Treats hay fever and allergy symptoms. Also treats insomnia.
Aldex AN, Rite Aid Night Sleep Aid, Sleep Aid, TopCare Sleep Aid, Unisom
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Chewable Tablet, Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take the tablet 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you or your child are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have glaucoma, breathing problems (such as emphysema or bronchitis), or problems with urination due to an enlarged prostate.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Use the tablet only at bedtime. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- You should not give the tablet to a child under 12 years of age.
- Children receiving the suspension form of this medicine tend to get more excited. Talk to your doctor if this concerns you.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- If sleeplessness lasts longer than 2 weeks, talk to your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.