Doxorubicin liposome (Injection)
Doxorubicin Hydrochloride Liposome (dox-oh-ROO-bi-sin hye-droe-KLOR-ide LYE-poh-some)
Treats cancer, including ovarian cancer, multiple myeloma, and Kaposi sarcoma.
Doxil, Lipodox, Lipodox 50
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or cancer treatment center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- This medicine may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. Use an effective form of birth control while you are receiving this medicine and for 6 months after treatment ends.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or heart disease. Tell your doctor if you have received previous cancer medicine or radiation treatment.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart damage
- Infusion reaction, which may be life-threatening
- Hand-foot syndrome
- Cancer of the mouth
- This medicine could cause infertility. Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you plan to have children.
- Your urine color may change to red or orange after you receive the injection. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
- Cancer medicines can cause nausea and/or vomiting in most people, sometimes even after receiving medicines to prevent it. Ask your doctor or nurse about other ways to control these side effects.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, redness, numbness, pain, or swelling of the palms, hands, and bottoms of the feet
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Headache; dizziness; trouble breathing; warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
- Painful sores or white patches on your lips, mouth, or throat
- Redness, swelling, burning, or pain where the needle is placed
- Slow or uneven heartbeat, rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, or vomiting
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Reddish-orange urine or other body fluids
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.