Doxercalciferol (By mouth)
Lowers high levels of parathyroid hormone in the body in kidney dialysis patients. Doxercalciferol is a form of vitamin D.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often. You will usually use this medicine at the time you have dialysis.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine must be used on a regular schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor or dialysis unit for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the capsules at room temperature in the original container, away from heat, direct light, and moisture.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using cholestyramine (Questran®), mineral oil, phenobarbital (Donnatal®), phenytoin (Dilantin®), glutethimide (Doriden®), or digitalis drugs such as digoxin (Lanoxin®) or digitoxin (Crystodigin®).
- Do not use calcium supplements or any other type of vitamin D without first asking your doctor.
- Avoid antacids that contain magnesium (such as Maalox® and Mylanta®) while using this medicine.
- Follow the diet plan your doctor gives to you.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease or if you have a history of high levels of phosphate or calcium in your blood.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Bone or muscle pain
- Dry mouth, metallic taste in mouth
- Irregular heartbeat
- Loss of appetite, weight loss
- Nausea, vomiting, constipation
- Unusual weakness, tiredness
- Unexplained headache
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Difficult breathing
- Swelling of the hands or feet
- Weight gain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.