Treats poisoning by arsenic, gold, and mercury. It may also be used to treat lead poisoning when given with other medicines.
Bal In Oil
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using iron supplements or multivitamins containing iron before being given this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before being given this medicine.
- This medicine contains peanut oil. Tell your doctor if you have had an allergic reaction to peanuts.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Decrease in the amount of urine produced, or a change in how often you urinate.
- Severe swelling or keeping water in the body.
- Unusually fast heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning feeling in the lips, mouth, throat, or penis.
- Feeling nervous, restless, or unusually weak.
- Feeling tightness or pain in the throat, chest, or hands.
- Fever (in children).
- Headache, lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Irritated, itchy, or watery eyes, or twitching eyelids.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Pain, redness, and hardness at the area where the shots were given.
- Runny nose.
- Stomach pain.
- Sweaty forehead, hands, or body.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.