Treats bleeding disorders. Also treats diabetes insipidus.
DDAVP, Novaplus Desmopressin Acetate
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how desmopressin works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Medicine to treat depression
- Narcotic pain medicine
- An NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart problems, high blood pressure, kidney disease, cystic fibrosis, or a history of blood clots.
- This medicine may cause low levels of sodium in your blood. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about how much liquid to drink each day.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, muscle twitching, weight gain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, flushing
- Mild stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting
- Pain, swelling, or burning pain where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/8/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.