Desloratadine (By mouth)
Treats or prevents hives, allergy symptoms, and hay fever symptoms. This medicine is an antihistamine.
Clarinex, Clarinex Reditabs
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Dissolving Tablet, Liquid
- Take your medicine as directed.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Make sure your hands are dry before you handle the disintegrating tablet. Peel back the foil from the blister pack, then remove the tablet. Do not push the tablet through the foil. Place the tablet in your mouth. After it has melted, swallow or take a drink of water.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There may be medicines that could interact with desloratadine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have liver disease or kidney disease. Tell your doctor if you have a history of heart problems, and about any other medical problems you may have.
- Some forms of this medicine may contain phenylalanine (aspartame). Read the label before using this medicine. This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). If you have this condition, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or irregular (uneven) heartbeat.
- Pain when urinating, or trouble urinating.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Fever, cough, sore throat, or headache.
- Drowsiness, dizziness, nervousness, or other mood changes.
- Dry mouth or throat.
- Nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach.
- Mild skin rash.
- Muscle aches.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.