Dantrolene (By injection)
Treats or prevents malignant hyperthermia.
Dantrium, Novaplus Revonto, Revonto
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how dantrolene works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Medicine to lower blood pressure (such as verapamil)
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may make you lightheaded, drowsy, or dizzy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert for 48 hours after you receive this medicine.
- This medicine may cause you to have trouble swallowing. To avoid choking, be careful when you eat on the day you receive this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Cough, wheezing, chest pain, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, drowsiness
- Muscle weakness
- Pain, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.