Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B-12) (Injection)
Treats vitamin B-12 deficiency. Cyanocobalamin is another name for vitamin B-12.
Depo-Cobolin, Cobolin-M, Neuroforte-R, Vita #12
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to vitamin B-12.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you when to get your shots.
- You may need to get your shots in your doctor's office, or they may be given to you by a home care nurse or someone who has been trained to give you your shot.
If a dose is missed:
- Call your doctor to reschedule your appointment.
- If you are getting your shots at home, get your shot as soon as you remember, and then return to your regular schedule.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store this medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Ask your doctor for special diet instructions.
- You should not use folic acid vitamin supplements unless your doctor tells you differently.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before taking supplemental vitamin B-12.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest tightness or trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild pain or irritation where the shot is given
- Skin rash
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
This page was last updated: June 18, 2013