Cromolyn (By mouth)
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine works best when you use it at evenly spaced times during the day. Use the medicine 30 minutes before meals and at bedtime, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- This medicine needs to be mixed with only water before you use it. Do not mix the medicine with juice, milk, food, or anything else.
- To use the liquid: Do not use the liquid if it is cloudy or colored. Pour an 8-ounce (1 cup) glass of water. Break open the ampule (medicine tube) and squeeze all of the liquid into the glass of water. Stir well. Drink all of this mixture to make sure you get all of the medicine.
- To use the capsule: Do not swallow the capsule whole. Pour a 4-ounce (1/2 cup) glass of hot water. Open the capsule and pour all of the powder into the water. Stir until all of the medicine is dissolved (mixed with the water). Then pour another 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of cold water into the glass. Drink all of this mixture to make sure you get all of the medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Use any remaining doses for the day at evenly spaced times.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the capsules in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Do not take the ampule (tube) of liquid out of the foil package until you are ready to use it. Store the unopened ampules of liquid at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease or kidney disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast or uneven heartbeat.
- Trouble breathing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain.
- Itching, rash.
- Muscle aches.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.