Colesevelam (By mouth)
Colesevelam Hydrochloride (koe-le-SEV-e-lam hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Lowers cholesterol levels and treats type 2 diabetes.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take this medicine with a meal and liquid.
- Powder: Mix the powder with one-half to one cup of water, fruit juice, or a diet soft drink. Stir well and drink right away.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how colesevelam works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following. He may tell you to take your other medicine at least 4 hours before you take colesevelam.
- A blood thinner, such as warfarin
- Birth control pills
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have trouble swallowing, ongoing problems with constipation, phenylketonuria (PKU), a history of vitamin A, D, E, or K deficiency, or you had stomach or bowel surgery.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Headache, dizziness, or blurred vision
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, and lightheadedness
- Trouble swallowing
- Weakness, confusion, drowsiness, increased hunger, fast heartbeat, or shakiness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation or nausea
- Loss of strength
- Muscle or joint pain
- Runny or stuffy nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/8/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.