Codeine polistirex/chlorpheniramine polistirex (By mouth)
Chlorpheniramine Polistirex (klor-fen-IR-a-meen pol-ee-STYE-rex), Codeine Polistirex (KOE-deen pol-ee-STYE-rex)
Treats cough and other symptoms of a cold or allergies. This medicine contains a narcotic cough suppressant and an antihistamine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Long Acting Suspension
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Shake the medicine well before you use it.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Do not use a household teaspoon.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. Do not take more than 2 doses in 24 hours.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how codeine and chlorpheniramine works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following:
- MAO inhibitor (MAOI) within the past 2 weeks
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol. Also tell him if you take medicine for anxiety or depression.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, Addison disease, an enlarged prostate or trouble urinating, lung or breathing problems (including asthma), stomach or bowel problems, or an underactive thyroid. Tell your doctor if you have a history of head injury or drug or alcohol addiction.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Respiratory depression (severe breathing problems)
- Risk of overdose, which can lead to death
- This medicine may make you confused, dizzy, or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone. Medicine that contains codeine can cause serious breathing problems and death in children.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blue lips, fingernails, or skin, trouble breathing
- Extreme dizziness or weakness, shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, seizures, and cold, clammy skin
- Lightheadedness or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Nausea, vomiting, constipation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.