Treats severe pain caused by cancer.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine is given through a needle placed in your spinal cord.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not take clonidine if you are taking a blood thinner, such as warfarin.
- Some medicines can affect how clonidine works. Tell your doctor if you are taking blood pressure medicine, digoxin, fluphenazine, or depression medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney or heart disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Dizziness, drowsiness, or headache
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Severe stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting
- Trouble breathing or chest pain
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision or dry eyes
- Constipation, loss of appetite
- Pain in your joints, muscle cramps
- Ringing in your ears
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.