Clemastine (By mouth)
Treats allergy symptoms (hay fever).
Dayhist-1, Good Sense Dayhist Allergy, Tavist, Tavist Allergy, TopCare Dayhist Allergy
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- You may take this medicine with food to prevent stomach upset.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Keep this medicine at room temperature, away from heat, direct light, and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how clemastine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Narcotic pain killers
- Other antihistamines
- Sleeping pills
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, an ulcer, or problems with your bladder or prostate.
- This medicine should not be given to children under 12 years of age unless ordered by a doctor.
- Side effects of this medicine may be more likely in children and older adults. Clemastine syrup contains alcohol.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Be careful when you drive or operate dangerous machinery.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Facial flushing
- Severe drowsiness
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Clumsiness, mild drowsiness, or dizziness
- Dry mouth or throat, or thickening of mucus
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation
- Urinating often, trouble urinating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.