Ciprofloxacin (Into the ear)
Treats an outer ear infection (swimmer's ear). This medicine is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ciprofloxacin.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Use this medicine only in your ear. Do not swallow the medicine, and do not put it in your eyes or nose.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Hold the solution container in your hands for at least 1 minute to warm the solution. Putting a cold solution in your ear could cause you to become dizzy.
- Twist the top of the container off and throw it away.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. For a child, gently pull the child's earlobe down and back to straighten the child's ear canal. For an adult, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the ear. Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes or put a cotton ball into your ear.
- Throw the empty container away.
- Repeat the above steps if both ears are infected.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep the medicine in the foil pouch until you are ready to use it. Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
- The solution comes in small containers that are only used one time. Throw the empty container away after putting the medicine in your ear.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor right away at the first sign of a skin rash or any other allergic reaction.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- Keep your ears clean and dry while you are using this medicine. Do not go swimming unless your doctor says it is okay.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in hearing.
- Severe pain or tenderness in your ear.
- Skin rash.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stinging, itching, or discomfort in your ear.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.