Chlordiazepoxide/clidinium (By mouth)
Chlordiazepoxide (klor-dye-az-e-POX-ide), Clidinium (kli-DIN-ee-um)
Treats ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Swallow the capsules whole; do not crush or chew. Take this medicine before meals.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for the next dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep this medicine in the original tightly closed, light-resistant container.
- Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have liver disease, glaucoma, enlarged prostate, difficult urination, myasthenia gravis, or other medical problems.
- This medicine may cause dizziness and vision changes. If it does, avoid driving a car or operating machinery.
- While taking this medicine, avoid becoming overheated during exercise or hot weather; it can result in heat stroke.
- Call your doctor if you develop a skin rash or severe sunburn when exposed to sun or ultraviolet lamps.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. You should not use more than the prescribed amount or for longer periods than your doctor has ordered.
- If you have taken this medicine for a long time or in large doses, do not stop taking it suddenly. You may need to take smaller and smaller doses before completely stopping this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Yellowing of eyes and skin
- Eye pain with blurred vision
- Fever or sore throat
- Trouble breathing
- Trembling or shakiness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or confusion
- Decreased sweating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.