Cevimeline (By mouth)
Treats dry mouth from Sjogren syndrome.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Drink plenty of water, especially if you have increased sweating.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how cevimeline works. Tell your doctor if you are using a beta-blocker, such as atenolol, metoprolol, or propranolol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney or gallbladder stones, heart problems, including heart attack or chest pain (angina), asthma, bronchitis, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- This medicine may make your vision blurry. Be careful when you drive or do anything that requires clear vision.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision
- Excessive sweating
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Trouble breathing
- Uncontrollable shaking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Confusion or tiredness
- Dizziness, especially when you stand up
- Drooling, or more saliva than usual
- Hot flashes or joint pain
- Red, itchy, or watery eyes, runny nose, or a cough
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.