Carboxymethylcellulose (Into the eye)
Treats and prevents irritation caused by dry eyes.
Good Sense Lubricating Plus, Lubricating Plus, Refresh Celluvisc, Refresh Liquigel, Refresh Plus, Refresh Tears, Retaine CMC, Theratears
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Gel/Jelly, Drop
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- If the medicine has changed color or looks cloudy, do not use it.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Do not let the tip of the dropper touch your eye. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball.
- Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute.
- Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- If you are using the single-use container, open a new container for each dose of this medicine. Open the container by completely twisting off the tab. Do not pull the tab off. After using the medicine, dispose of the container and any medicine left in it. Do not keep any leftover medicine to use later.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 3 days or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- You may have blurred vision for a short time after using a dose of Celluvisc®. This is normal. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you cannot see well.
- If you hurt your eye, develop an eye infection, or need to have eye surgery, talk with your doctor right away. You may need to change your medicine or stop using it.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Changes in your vision
- Pain in your eye
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.