Camphor/eucalyptus oil/menthol (On the skin)
Camphor (KAM-for), Eucalyptus Oil (yoo-ka-LIP-tus oyl), Menthol (MEN-thol)
Relieves cough, stuffy nose, and mild body aches.
Vicks VapoRub, Vicks Vaporub, Mentholatum Chest Rub For Kids, Medicated Chest Rub, Vaporx Balm, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Chest Rub, Rite Aid Chest Rub, Rite Aid Medicated Chest Rub
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to eucalyptus oil, menthol, or camphor.
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Lotion, Ointment
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Apply a thick layer on your chest and throat, or rub on sore, aching muscles.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless your doctor has told you to.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have lung disease such as asthma, emphysema, chronic cough, or cough due to smoking.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- Do not give this medicine to a child under 2 years of age.
- Make sure you do not use this medicine near heat, a microwave, oven, or open flame. Do not add this medicine to hot water or any container where heating water, as it may cause burns.
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.