Azelastine (Into the nose)
Treats symptoms of allergic rhinitis (hay fever).
Astelin Ready-Spray, Astepro
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- This medicine is for use only in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes or on your skin. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- You will need to prime the nasal spray before you use it for the first time. To do this, pump the bottle 6 times or until some of the medicine sprays out. Prime the spray after each time you clean the pump, or if you have not used the medicine for 3 days or longer, by spraying the medicine 2 times.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- After using the nasal spray, wipe the tip of the bottle with a clean tissue and put the cap back on.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose:Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Keep the bottle tightly closed when not using it. Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Throw this medicine away after you use 200 sprays.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how azelastine works. Tell your doctor if you are using cimetidine or ketoconazole.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning, redness, swelling, or irritation around or inside your nose
- Heavy nosebleeds
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bitter or bad taste in your mouth
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.