Auranofin (By mouth)
Treats rheumatoid arthritis.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Auranofin does not work right away. You may not notice any effects until after 3 to 6 months of use.
- Missed dose:
- 1 dose daily: Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If you do not remember until the next day, skip the missed dose and just take your 1 dose for the day.
- 2 or more doses daily: Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your medicine at your usual time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how auranofin works. Tell your doctor if you are taking phenytoin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a blood disorder, lupus, colitis, or kidney, liver, or skin disease.
- This medicine can make your skin sensitive to sunlight and cause a rash, redness, itching, or severe sunburn. Use a sunscreen when outdoors. Do not use a tanning bed or sunlamp.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Cough or trouble breathing
- Bloody or black tarry stools
- Bloody, cloudy, or foaming urine
- Metallic taste and sores in your mouth or throat
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Stomach cramps, gas, or poor appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.