Antitussives (By mouth)
Treats dry coughs caused by colds, flu, and lung infections.
Babee Cof Syrup, Children's Robitussin Cough Long Acting, Children's Triaminic Long Acting Cough, Cough DM, Creo-Terpin, Creomulsion Cough, Creomulsion For Children, Delsym, Dexalone, Dextromethorphan Polistirex, EntexPAC, Father John's Medicine, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Cough Relief, Good Neighbor Tussin, Quality Choice Cough Relief
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Lozenge, Liquid Filled Capsule, Capsule, Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. You might need to shake the liquid before using it.
- Swallow the liquid-filled capsule whole, such as Tessalon Perles® or Tessalon Capsules®. Do not chew, break, or suck on the liquid-filled capsule.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature in a tightly closed container away from direct light, heat, and moisture. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking sleeping pills, sedatives, cold and allergy medicines, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, or pain pills before you take this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Talk to your doctor if you have ever had asthma, emphysema, diabetes, heart disease, seizure disorders, an overactive thyroid, chronic bronchitis, or a liver disease before you take this medicine.
- Call your doctor if your cough does not improve or last longer than 7 days.
- Call your doctor if your cough gets worse, if you cough up yellow mucus, or if you have a fever, rash, sore throat, vomiting, or continuing headache with the cough.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Slowed or difficulty breathing
- Severe drowsiness
- Rash or itching
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness, dizziness
- Upset stomach
- Nervousness or restlessness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.