Antihistamine with drying agent (By mouth)
Treats allergies and runny nose.
RespiVent Dosepack DF
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not take this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to chlorpheniramine, methscopolamine, or any other anticholinergic or antihistamine medicine. You should not use this medicine if you have used an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) within the past 14 days, such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®. You should not use this medicine during an asthma attack, or if you have glaucoma (increased pressure in your eyes). You should not use this medicine if you have severe high blood pressure, or certain other heart problems. You should not use this medicine if you have a narrowed or blocked urinary tract, or if you have an enlarged prostate gland. You should not use this medicine if you have an ulcer, or if you have an overactive thyroid gland. You should not use this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine
Long Acting Tablet, Tablet, Capsule, Long Acting Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Swallow the extended-release caplet or tablet whole. Do not crush or chew it. If you have trouble swallowing it, you may break the medicine in half before taking it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use an antacid or a medicine to treat diarrhea while you are using this medicine, unless your doctor tells you to. Do not use this medicine with any other medicine that has antihistamine in it, unless your doctor tells you to. Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any other medicine that causes dryness of the nose, mouth, or throat.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a medicine to treat depression, such as amitriptyline, doxepin, or nortriptyline or MAO inhibitors (MAOI) within the past 14 days, such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®.
- There are many other drugs that can interact with this type of medicine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have asthma or other breathing problems. Tell your doctor if you have a history of heart problems or blood pressure problems. Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver problems, kidney problems, or stomach problems such as an ulcer or reflux (heartburn).
- This medicine might decrease your ability to sweat. Your body could get too hot if you do not sweat enough. If your body gets too hot, you might feel dizzy, weak, tired, or confused. You might vomit or have an upset stomach. Do not let yourself get too hot while you are exercising. Avoid places that are very hot. Call your doctor if you are too hot and cannot cool down.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine may make children act more excited.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain or tightness.
- Fainting, seizures, or severe weakness or tiredness.
- Fever with a sore throat.
- Trouble thinking clearly, or seeing or hearing things that are not there.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
- Very fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change in how often or how much you urinate, or painful urination.
- Clumsiness or unsteadiness.
- Feeling unusually excited, irritable, moody, nervous, or restless.
- Headache, or flushing (redness and heat) of the face.
- Loss of appetite, stomach pain, or stomach upset.
- Ringing or buzzing sound in your ears.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Very dry mouth, nose, or throat.
- Vision changes, or blurry vision.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.