Antacid, calcium containing (By mouth)
Treats indigestion, gas, heartburn, peptic ulcers, and other conditions.
Actonel with Calcium, Alcalak, Alka-Mints, Antacid, Antacid Extra Strength, Cal-Gest, Calcarb 600, Calcio Del Mar, Calcium Antacid, Calcium Antacid Extra Strength, Caltrate 600, Chewable Calcium, Children's Pepto, Chooz, Family Pharmacy Calcium 500
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Powder for Suspension, Tablet, Capsule, Chewable Tablet, Lozenge, Wafer, Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often. If you are being treated for peptic ulcer, keep using this medicine for as long as your doctor tells you to.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Shake the oral liquid well before each use. Measure your dose carefully using a measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Chew the chewable tablet thoroughly before swallowing. It may be helpful to drink a glass of water after swallowing the chewed tablet.
- Let the lozenge melt slowly in your mouth.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- If you use this medicine on a regular schedule, use the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Antacids may keep other medicines from working the way they are supposed to. Do not use an antacid within 1 to 2 hours before or after using other medicines. If you have questions about when are the best times to use your medicines, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you are using an antibiotic such as tetracycline, minocycline, or doxycycline, do not take an antacid within 3 hours before or after taking the antibiotic.
- Avoid drinking large amounts of milk with this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Talk with your doctor before using antacids if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- You should not use certain brands of this medicine if you have kidney disease or are on dialysis, because they may harm your kidneys. Ask your caregiver what brands are best for you.
- Tell your doctor if your heartburn or stomach problems do not get better after 1 or 2 weeks or if they get worse after taking this medicine.
- Antacids may contain large amounts of salt. Talk to your doctor before using this medicine if you are on a low-sodium diet.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe stomach pain, vomiting
- Muscle pain or severe weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Unpleasant or chalky taste
- White-colored stools
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 7/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.