Antacid, aluminum containing (By mouth)
Treats indigestion, heartburn, upset stomach, and other digestive problems. Some antacids also treat gas.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Liquid, Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Shake the oral liquid just before using. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- The chewable tablet must be chewed completely before you swallow it. For best results, drink some water or other liquid after you swallow the tablet.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Ask your doctor before taking this antacid if you are using any other medicines. Antacids can make some drugs not work as well.
- In some cases, you should not use antacids within 1 to 2 hours before or after using other medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Ask your doctor before you use this medicine if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any preservatives.
- You should not use certain brands of this medicine if you have kidney disease or are on dialysis. Some brands contain ingredients that could be harmful if your kidneys are not working properly. Always ask your health caregiver what specific brands of this medicine will work best for you.
- Antacids may contain large amounts of salt. Talk to your doctor before using this medicine if you are on a low-sodium (low-salt) diet.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Excessive weakness or dizziness.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Severe stomach pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
This page was last updated: September 18, 2013