Analgesic (On the skin)
Treats minor aches and pains in muscles and joints due to arthritis, backache, strains, or sprains.
Sarna, Biofreeze, Soltice Quick-Rub, Golden Sunshine Natural Herbal Pain Terminator, Golden Sunshine Herbal, Vicks VapoRub, Amlactin Distribution Pack, Vicks Vaporub, Medi-Derm, Medi-Derm/L With Lidocaine, Zostrix Diabetic Joint and Arthritis Pain Relief, Tiger Balm Patch, Medrox, Salonpas Pain Relief, Salonpas Arthritis Pain
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you do not know what the ingredients are.
How to Use This Medicine
Stick, Patch, Pad, Thin Sheet, Lotion, Spray, Gel/Jelly, Ointment, Liquid, Cream
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless your doctor has told you to.
- Do not use this medicine with a heating pad or device unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Ask your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have sensitive skin.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- You should not use this medicine on a child less than 12 years old for joint pain or swelling, unless your doctor tells you to.
- If your pain lasts for more than 10 days, stop using this medicine and talk with your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin redness or irritation.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
This page was last updated: September 18, 2013