Ampicillin/sulbactam (By injection)
Ampicillin Sodium (am-pi-SIL-in SOE-dee-um), Sulbactam Sodium (sul-BAK-tam SOE-dee-um)
Treats bacterial infections. This medicine contains a penicillin antibiotic.
Amerinet Choice Ampicillin and Sulbactam, Ampicillin and Sulbactam Novaplus, Novaplus Ampicillin and Sulbactam, Unasyn
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how ampicillin/sulbactam works. Tell your doctor if you are using allopurinol or probenecid.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or mononucleosis (mono).
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea or nausea
- Pain, swelling, or redness where the injection is given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.