Amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium (By mouth)
Amoxicillin (a-mox-i-SIL-in), Clavulanate Potassium (KLAV-ue-la-nate poe-TAS-ee-um)
Treats infections. This medicine is a penicillin antibiotic.
Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take this medicine with a snack or at the beginning of a meal to help prevent nausea.
- Chewable tablets: Chew the tablet completely before you swallow it.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Shake the medicine well just before you measure each dose. Rinse the spoon or dropper after each use.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Tablet, extended-release tablet, chewable tablet: Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Oral liquid: Store in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Throw away any unused oral liquid after 10 days.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are taking a blood thinner (such as warfarin), allopurinol, or probenecid.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or mononucleosis (mono).
- Birth control pills may not work as well while you are taking this medicine. Use another form of birth control to prevent pregnancy.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- The chewable tablet and oral liquid contain phenylalanine. Talk to your doctor before you use this medicine if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow eyes or skin
- Diarrhea that may contain blood, stomach cramps
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diaper rash
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- Tooth discoloration (in children)
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.