Amiloride/hydrochlorothiazide (By mouth)
Amiloride (a-MIL-oh-ride), Hydrochlorothiazide (hye-droe-klor-oh-THYE-a-zide)
Treats fluid retention (edema) and high blood pressure. This medicine is a combination of two types of diuretic (water pill).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you are also using potassium supplements or salt substitutes, or you are taking another diuretic, such as spironolactone or triamterene.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- Cyclosporine, cholestyramine, colestipol, digoxin, dofetilide, lithium, tacrolimus
- Blood pressure medicine (such as benazepril, enalapril, lisinopril, telmisartan, candesartan), insulin or diabetes medicine you take orally, NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib), or steroid medicine (such as cortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisone)
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, diabetes, pancreatitis, or lupus.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine.
- If you stop using this medicine, your blood pressure may go up. High blood pressure usually has no symptoms. Even if you feel well, do not stop using the medicine without asking your doctor.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain (may be related to your disease and not a side effect)
- Confusion, weakness, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea, or vomiting
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Problems urinating, pain in side or lower back
- Severe diarrhea or stomach pain
- Skin rash or itching
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Problems having sex
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.