Aflibercept (Into the eye)
Treats age-related macular degeneration (AMD), macular edema, and diabetic retinopathy.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A doctor will give you this injection.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other eye problems or a history of blood clots, heart attack, or stroke.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Detached retina, infection, or increased pressure inside your eye
- Increased risk for blood clots
- This medicine may cause temporary blurred vision. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding in your eye
- Eye pain or redness, trouble seeing, sensitivity to light, eyelid swelling
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, coughing up blood
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body, sudden or severe headache, problems with vision, speech, or walking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 12/4/2015
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.