Activated charcoal (By mouth)
Activated Charcoal (AK-ti-vay-ted CHAR-kole)
Treats certain types of poisonings. Also used for bloating and intestinal gas.
Requa Activated Charcoal, EZ-Char, Kerr Insta-Char, Actidose-Aqua, CharcoCaps
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this product if you have had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients listed on the package label. Some forms of this product should not be given to infants. Do not use this product in children under the age of 12 years old, unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Granule, Powder, Liquid, Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- When used to treat poisoning, this product should be given by a health care professional, or given according to specific instructions from a health care professional. Do not give this medicine to someone who is not fully awake.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- When using the liquid form of this product, you may need to shake the product container for at least 30 seconds before using.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many other drugs that can interact with activated charcoal products. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have any digestive problems such as a bowel obstruction or constipation. Tell your doctor if you have any intolerance to fructose (fruit sugar). Make sure your doctor knows about any medical conditions you have.
- Do not use this medicine to treat poisoning unless you are told to do so by a doctor or poison control center. This product can be dangerous if used incorrectly when treating poisoning.
- This product may cause dark or black stools.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- New or worsening abdominal pain, or severe constipation.
- Severe diarrhea.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dark-colored urine, or urinating less often than usual.
- Nausea or vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last Reviewed on 06/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
This page was last updated: June 18, 2013