Greening the OR
The operating rooms (ORs) purchase large quantities of supplies, generate significant amounts of waste, and use energy intensive equipment. UMMC has committed to decreasing it's OR environmental footprint through:
- Single use medical device reprocessing
- Expanding recycling program
- Blue Wrap and OR Recycling: This program ensures that plastics generated in the OR are collected and recycled.
- Decreasing our waste by donating open and unused supplies to third-world countries and/or to the medical and nursing schools for training purposes.
- Re-formulating kits to decrease waste.
- Using reusable textiles.
- Decrease medical waste by use of fluid waste management systems
This page was last updated: April 8, 2014